Monday, March 19, 2007

the purpose of all these newspaper articles is to help MPBN regain some of its credibility and funding

"I'm surprised to hear you say that the letter from Justin at the National Coalition Against Censorship was on my behalf. I thought that the purpose of all these newspaper articles was to help MPBN regain some of its credibility and funding. Because of this censorship, hundreds of angry people have shut them off."

++

Robert,

I got a copy today of the letter from the National Coalition Against Censorship, on your behalf. I was hoping to talk to you about it Tuesday on the phone. Is there a number where I can reach you, and a good time to talk?

Thanks, Ray.
--
Ray Routhier
Features Writer
Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram
390 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
207-791-6454
rrouthier@pressherald.com

Hi Ray,

Good to hear from you. I remember wondering if you would break this MPBN censorship story several months ago. You backed off rapidly which gave me the impression that you had people pressuring you, too.

I'm surprised to hear you say that the letter from Justin at the National Coalition Against Censorship was on my behalf. I thought that the purpose of all these newspaper articles was to help MPBN regain some of its credibility and funding. Because of this censorship, hundreds of angry people have shut them off.

Hope you'll stop by the farm for supper when it gets warm.

Look forward to talking with you at your convenience.

Here is a reply I sent earlier today to our friend Bill Nemitz, which is about the same letter I would have written to you had I seen your letter in my computer a few minutes earlier.

+++

Here is about the only item that hasn’t been hashed over pretty well by our friends Al Diamon and Tom Groening and Jay Davis. I make you a present of this paragraph from radio friend, Jay Peterson, who wrote:

I really can't say who, but a board member at MPBN called me on my show on WERU, said she liked the music I was playing, and suggested I "apply for your job". I told them to call me at home, then thought about it for a second, and said, no never mind. Not interested.

Bill, you’re as good a reporter as there is and I should think you’d like to get your teeth into the implications of something like that.

MPBN president Jim Dowe called me. We laughed and chatted for 15 minutes. I have the impression that he is a capable, friendly man who is going to do something so we may put this unfortunate censorship business behind us.

I am anxious to have the “guidelines” removed so that I may continue to help MPBN line its coffers at fundraising time. As you know, although I was practically ignored by management for over a quarter of a century, I’ve always done everything I could to support Maine Public Radio. If there is another person in Maine who has, for nearly three decades, brought more listeners to MPBN’s spot on the dial than The humble Farmer, I would like to have you tell me who it is.
Bill, I have a couple of hundred letters that look like the one below from David Lyman, founder of the Rockport Photographic Workshops.


To: Maine Public Radio Management

Where has the real Humble Farmer gone? What have you done to him?

I heard a report this afternoon on Maine Things Considered, about gagging him. I am pleased you let your reports tell the story.

I’m alarmed that the executives at MPBN have censured this Maine humorist, relegated him to the role of DJ.

There was a time when Mr. Skoglund’s “rantings” were just bad humor, and I cringed at his unprofessional presentation, but loved the music he selected. Then one day he got a whole lot better. His humor was real, his humor was original, he was now making sense. He was funny, but also insightful and relevant. I did not find some of his bits to my liking, but like his music there were tracks I did no like either . . . so, one waits 3 minutes and another track and other observation will come on. Same with his humor, not all of it hit the mark, but when it did, I knew I was listening to an original humorist.

For the last 2 years, I found myself turning in more regularly, as much for his wit, as for the music he chose.

I ran into Robert at the Common Ground Fair two years ago and congratulate him on the improvement to his show. He admitted he was “rehearsing” it these days, even writing out his tirades and bits.

I am angered that MPBN would strangle The Humble Farmer in this way. It is a shame and wrong to relegate Robert to the role of a DJ’s when he is one of Maine natural resources, a genuine commentator, observer, and outspoken comedian . . . we need him. Bring him back to his full hour slot on Friday evening, and take off the gag!

I will keep after you until you do . . .

David Lyman
Founder The Maine Photographic Workshops
Rockport, Maine 04856

Bill,

I’m pretty sure that Mr. Dowe will soon take care of this. There are several thousand David Lymans out there who will “keep after” him until he does.

+++

And here, arriving just minutes ago Ray, is the last paragraph of a letter to Mr. Dowe from the Samuels, who write:

One of our most pleasant discoveries upon arriving in Maine was “The Humble Farmer”; we have been fans since first hearing his program. We know Robert personally; we know that what you get on the radio is the real person. We have therefore been following with growing concern what appears to be efforts to censor his program in ways that are unworthy of Maine and of Public Broadcasting. We are of course aware of the intrusion of politics – particularly the efforts of the current administration – into CPB. We had hoped that the independence evidenced by Maine’s former and current U. S. senators and representatives would extend to MPBN. Margaret Chase Smith would not have been pleased to see the pressure being brought to bear on Robert. We had begun to lose that faith with regards to MPBN and were drafting a letter to you in support of Robert and in protest of heavy-handed efforts on the part of MPBN senior management to take the “Maine” out of Humble’s program when we received a note from Robert letting us know that you had intervened in the dispute.

We are now writing not to express that concern but to encourage you to reach an accommodation that allows MPBN members to continue to hear Humble on MPBN – both the music and the rants that we so much appreciate.

With thanks for your concern,

Roger and Patricia Samuel

++

Thank you Ray,

I am flattered to hear from you and look forward to our chat.

Neighbor humble

http://ncac.org/entertainment/ Perhaps you already heard from the National Coalition Against Censorship

++++


Did you know that Robert Skoglund, The humble Farmer, stands on stages and tells funny stories?
Ask humble to entertain you and your friends with dry stories like these:
http://www.thehumblefarmer.com/PortlandA.html
You can hear humble's radio program for this week:
http://www.thehumblefarmer.com/ThisWeek.html
2/22/07 Christian Science Monitor Profile on humble
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0222/p20s01-algn.html?page=1
You can visit humble and Marsha at their Bed & Breakfast on the coast of Maine.
http://www.thehumblefarmer.com/BaB.html
Robert Karl Skoglund (November-April)
260 Hamlin Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33905
207-226-7442
humble@humblefarmer.com
http://www.thehumblefarmer.com/
You are invited to stop by for supper anytime.
785 River Road (summers)
St. George, ME 04860
207-226-7442
humble@humblefarmer.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home