Friday, March 16, 2007

David Lyman on MPBN censorship --It is a shame and wrong to relegate Robert to the role of a DJs when he is one of Maine's natural resources

Friday, March 16, 2007


Humble . . . . are you still at this address? I heard the report on your tiff with the MPBN management this afternoon, and am am appalled. Here is a copy of the memo I just sent management and the Advisory Board of MPBN. Will it do any good?

I am sure I am not alone in my desire to hear you make a fool of yourself each week, as you tell it like you see it.

Hang in there, we'll have you back in there and telling it like you see it.

MPBN Folks . . . .


To: Maine Public Radio Management

Where has the real Humble Farmer gone? What have you done to him?

I heard a report this afternoon on Maine Things Considered, about gagging him. I am pleased you let your reports tell the story.

I’m alarmed that the executives at MPBN have censured this Maine humorist, relegated him to the role of DJ.

There was a time when Mr. Skoglund’s “rantings” were just bad humor, and I cringed at his unprofessional presentation, but loved the music he selected. Then one day he got a whole lot better. His humor was real, his humor was original, he was now making sense. He was funny, but also insightful and relevant. I did not find some of his bits to my liking, but like his music there were tracks I did not like either . . . so, one waits 3 minutes and another track and other observation will come on. Same with his humor, not all of it hit the mark, but when it did, I knew I was listening to an original humorist.

For the last 2 years, I found myself turning in more regularly, as much for his wit, as for the music he chose.

I ran into Robert at the Common Ground Fair two years ago and congratulate him on the improvement to his show. He admitted he was “rehearsing” it these days, even writing out his tirades and bits.

I am angered that MPBN would strangle The Humble Farmer in this way. It is a shame and wrong to relegate Robert to the role of a DJ’s when he is one of Maine natural resources, a genuine commentator, observer, and outspoken comedian . . . we need him. Bring him back to his full hour slot on Friday evening, and take off the gag!

I will keep after you until you do . . .

David Lyman
Founder The Maine Photographic Workshops
Rockport, Maine 04856
DHLyman@TheWorkshops.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home