Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is MPBN for its listeners or is my sustaining membership paying for a Charles Beck filter?

Re: Humble Farmer and the issue of CENSORSHIP.

I didn't understand, all these years, that my sustaining membership was paying for a Charles Beck filter. Thirty years is a long time to be paying for something I definitely don't want!

My husband and I have enjoyed Humble Farmer for many years for his enjoyable music selections, but also for the intelligent, witty, sage and relevant commentary he provides. Whether or not we agree on any given issue, we are pleased to know that our first amendment rights are alive and well and safe on PUBLIC radio. It seems we wrong! I really thought this media listened to the 68% block of listener funding. It seems that we do the funding and corporations and politicians (one and the same often), do the programming.

Is MPBN for its listeners or not?

Do we no longer have a free voice?

Can we no longer be free to choose the opinions we listen to? Do we need Big Brother Charles Beck to tell us what is good for us to hear?

I left MPTV on Friday nights because of run to death programming.

I went to Public Radio and was delighted to find Friday night jazz. I wouldn't go out on Friday nights so I could listen to Humble and Rick and later Marion. It was a welcome relief from too much news all week, A night off. Now you have stuck a news program in front of Humble and put a gag order on him.

Where do I go now? XM Radio?

Do I want to fund this kind of censorship?...any kind of censorship???


K J

Carrabassett Valley

1 Comments:

Blogger Dennis Fortin said...

On the question of how much and why MPBN personnel are paid, this link will take you to the most recent Form 990 filing, showing major employee and officer compensation:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2005/223/171/2005-223171529-01e81362-9.pdf

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home