Sunday, May 14, 2006

Robert's reply to Merrymeeting Grange

Dear Robert:

I spoke with the members of Merrymeeting Grange about holding a fundraising event with you as the entertainment and I'm afraid they were not in favor of it. They thought that your 75%/25% of the door was unfair, but would do it for a 50%/50% take. What do you say?

Sue Hackett



Hi Sue,

I say your members are right. It is unfair.

We have 80 acres of farm that we could sell off as house lots and be rich for the rest of whatever is left of our lives but we want to put the farm into a trust so it can never be broken up. I consider myself no more than a steward of this land. It is something I want to pass along to my wife's granddaughter, perhaps a little better and with a bit more acreage than when I bought it from one of mother's third cousins 36 years ago.

I am a 70 year old man who joined grange in 1950, the year my wife was born. She now has Lou Gehrig's disease and goes upstairs on her hands and knees. The doctor in Boston was amazed that she was not in a wheelchair two years ago. St. George Grange #421 had a benefit for her out at the hall two summers ago. We were able to use it because my social security is $393 per month x 12 or $4712 per year and we pay blood sucking health insurance companies more than twice that or over $10,000 a year.

Marsha and I are very happy and spend each day laughing and having as much fun as we can. When we indulge ourselves with an exciting trip to visit friends and relatives, we do it knowing that in 12 months Marsha might not be able to get on a bus. We also do it knowing that it won't hurt her kids because they will be able to pay off any remaining crimes against our estate with our life insurance money.

When I really want to make my wife laugh out loud, I grasp her gently by the arms, gaze lovingly into her eyes, and with a deep and mellifluous voice say, "My dear, please remember that I am the boss in this house."

I say your members are right. It is unfair.

Some people even think that life itself is unfair.

But Marsha and I are enjoying life and laughing and hugging and loving each other every minute of every day and if your members knew how many times we have had sex since yesterday morning, I expect most of them would jump right up in meeting and shout, "It's unfair."

Brother Robert Skoglund, The humble Farmer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home