Monday, October 16, 2006

St. George Maine Bed & Breakfast The humble Farmer

You have seen the 16 foot granite monument on my front lawn and you’ve seen it on my web page. I put that granite monument there to make it easier to find my house which you know is in St. George on Route 131. There is a 5 foot steel monkey on the top of the monument blowing a five foot chrome bugle. If the monkey is not blowing a bugle, you have stopped at the wrong house.

I erected this granite monument 25 or more years ago because my father worked in granite and I had faith in granite. There was a saying at the Clark Island Quarry: Granite is Forever. So because my father worked with granite and both of my grandfathers worked with granite and even my great grandfather Willliamson worked with granite I figured that I knew about granite and that I could count on it to do what I wanted it to do.

But --- all the experts sneered when I erected this erection and said, “Hey boy, you got to put some pins in that granite or she’ll fall down.” But I didn’t put in the pins because I figured that granite was forever.

But I noticed a crack in the joint last week and when I put a 6 foot level on it I saw that it had moved to the northard four inches. So --- I had to ask Steve Lindsay to come up and drill two 16 or 18 inch holes into it and put in two bronze pins. I’ve got it on video and I hope to get it on my webpage in case anyone wants to see how to fix theirs.

We hooked a come along onto the top and pulled it four inches to the southard so it was straight before Steve drilled the holes.

I want you to know that asking for help was a difficult thing for me to do --- because Steve was one of the experts who told me 25 years ago that the monument wasn’t going to stand.

For at least four generations my family put its faith in granite. Twenty-five years ago I also put my faith in granite, but in my incompetent hands, it let me down.

I can empathize with the millions of disillusioned Americans who have recently been forced to change their political affiliation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home