Saturday, June 24, 2006

Robert Karl Skoglund -- Unedited Rant for June 30 Radio Show

I’m an academic. When you take the time to sit down with me and tell me mysterious and interesting things about whatever it is that you do, I appreciate it. If I hadn’t dropped out of grad school to come home to be with my mother when she died, I’d probably still be going to college. You might be able to identify with me if there is something that you really enjoy doing, even though it is obvious to you and everybody else that you really aren’t all that good at doing it.

And are you not also fascinated by these ubiquitous polls that clearly point out what the world’s citizens feel is today’s greatest threat to world peace and security?

But wouldn’t you rather see the results of polls taken in this country?

Even more than that I would like to see the results of polls taken in this state.

And even more than that I would like to see the results of polls taken in my town, because --- I would like to know the most propitious hours to take my trash down to the dump. Recently, while I was down there, I chanced upon two excellent small bicycles for Marsha’s grandchildren and at present I’m looking for a door to replace the one that rotted out on the grange hall. Too many times I have arrived at the dump --- please forgive my use of that anachronistic lexical item, but I still put things in the icebox --- too many times I have arrived at the dump to see one of my neighbors loading up with 2 foot wide wainscoting boards 18 feet long and the kind of beat up 200 year old doors you only see in Andy Wyeth paintings. My neighbors who are into home improvement are always replacing their dirty old doors with nice new plastic ones from Home Depot. And I’ve been needing tires for my rider mower for a year but one of my stingy, greedy, selfish neighbors always throws them on his truck before I can get there.

Bottom line? I don’t know the best time to arrive at the dump with my stuff --- which I feel gives me a right to root through the abandoned goodies that everywhere abound --- and I’m ready to settle for a state wide average. I’m humble@humblefarmer.com You tell me. What’s the most rewarding time of day to haul stuff to the dump?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home