Monday, August 14, 2006

Dr. Jeremy Tuttle sends French Chocolate

My friends Jeremy and Sally Tuttle sent me an email that says, “There is some French chocolate for you and Marsha in the mail.”

I have not had a cookie or a donut or ice cream or a piece of pie or a blueberry muffin for two years. I dearly love these things but if I were to eat them, it wouldn’t be long before I wouldn’t be able to tie my shoes.

I haven’t eaten chocolate for years. I have no idea of what chocolate would do to my system --- it has been so long since I’ve had any --- but it still makes my jaws ache to think about it. The down side of eating a piece of chocolate or a nice piece of fudge is not pleasant to consider. Yes, chocolate tastes good going down, but it soon plunges me into a state of feeling rotten in general. The symptoms are vague and difficult to describe but they are extremely unpleasant.

I don’t know if this is a common thing. But 30 plus years ago, back when I was an old bach living all alone in my house, I used to write on the walls and on the doors. Way back, and I’m talking way back before I even started writing for newspapers which would have been 1972 or so, when I’d think of something I’d write it on the doors or on the walls. Remember that I had no outlet for all the things that were going through my head and this was before I wrote for newspapers or did radio or television, so I’d write things on the wall. And I remember, for years, on top of the cellar door, in thick black magic marker, it said, “2 am. Still up with stomach pains from drinking one cup of chocolate. Never learn.”

I think I got into this by telling you that my friends Jeremy and Sally Tuttle sent me an email that says, “There is some French chocolate for you and Marsha in the mail.” Sending me and Marsha some French chocolate in the mail would be like me sending Sally and Jeremy a jock strap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home